Derek Smith’s susceptibility to pneumocystis pneumonia.
Posted: February 3rd, 2024
Derek Smith, a 31 y.o., Caucasian male injection drug user, who is homeless, presents to the ED with a chief complaint of shortness of breath. He describes a 1-month history of intermittent fevers and night sweats associated with a nonproductive cough. He has become progressively more short of breath, initially only with exertion, but now he feels dyspneic at rest. He appears to be in moderate respiratory distress.
His vital signs are abnormal, with fever to 39°C, heart rate of 112 bpm, respiratory rate of 20/min, and oxygen saturation of 88% on room air.
Physical examination is otherwise unremarkable but notable for the absence of abnormal lung sounds. Chest x-ray film reveals a diffuse interstitial infiltrate characteristic of pneumocystis pneumonia, an opportunistic infection.
In this discussion:
- Describe and discuss with your colleagues the underlying disease most likely responsible for this patient’s susceptibility to pneumocystis pneumonia.
- Describe and discuss the immunosuppression caused by this underlying disease.
- Describe and discuss the natural history of this disease and some of the common clinical manifestations seen during its progression.
- Describe your plan of care for this patient following his hospitalization (he will likely be admitted to the “medical respite floor,” of a local homeless shelter, which has the services of a Nurse Practitioner three times per week—with on-call weekend consultation, and a registered nurse, Monday through Friday).
Include citations from the text or the external literature in your discussions.
Remember to respond to at least two of your peers.
This assignment entails the development of a Power Point Presentation (PPP) on your choice of an immunodeficiency disease incorporating evidence-based practice literature and reliable electronic sources. The presentation shall include at least 10 slides, excluding the title and reference slides.
Please use the following criteria to develop your PPP:
- Introductory slide with at least 3 presentation objectives
- Description of an immunodeficiency disease
- A description of the disorder’s pathophysiology and clinical presentation.
- A description of the associated laboratory, radiological, or other referral diagnostic tests required with supporting references.
- Presentation of a comprehensive, holistic plan of care.
- Provide brief concluding statements
- List of References in APA format (6 references minimum)
- You are encouraged to use the Notes section associated with each slide to provide more extensive discussion/narratives of the slide content.
In regards to APA format, please use the following as a guide:
- Use references throughout the Power Point Presentation
- Apply appropriate spelling, grammar, and organization throughout the Presentation
- Include a reference list at the end of the Presentation
- Attempt to use primary sources only. That said, you may cite reliable electronic sources (i.e. ANA)